On 6/10/06, ReggW <me / yourhome.com> wrote:
> Arachno Ruby, not quiet ready for primetime and it also uses a hacked
> Ruby interpreter. (not good...)

I don't understand the "not quite ready for primetime".  I've been
using ArachnoRuby (Windows version), http://www.ruby-ide.com to do
real, paid work in Ruby for well over a year now.  Many of the
versions I used were betas, and I encountered a number of minor
glitches (not surprising for betas), but nothing that got in the way
of me getting my work done.

Arachno's changes to the Ruby interpreter are mainly to speed up the
debugger, and it works great.  I've tried almost all the other IDEs
mentioned in this thread, and the ones I tried were all way too slow
to debug a large program.  When you have a Ruby program that runs for
30 minutes before it encounters a problem, and using the debugger
slows you down by a factor of 10 or 100, it becomes impossible to
debug the program (unless you can wait a week!).  Arachno's debugger
runs at almost full speed (maybe there's  50% slowdown).  I never saw
any problems due to the interpreter changes.

Wayne

-----
Wayne Vucenic
No Bugs Software
Ruby and C# Agile Contract Programming in Silicon Valley