Hi all,

I am really starting to get into ruby and I am currently reading the
PickAxe book and the Agile Rails book, but there is one part of classes
that I don't understand and I can't seem to find any reference to it.

Here is a basic class as defined in the Pickaxe book:

1: class Song
2:     attr_writer :duration
3: end

My question is, what is the whole statement on line #2?  I know what it
does, it creates a attribute-setting method for the "duration" variable,
but what I don't understand is how it does it.  When does that line of
code get executed?

I am used to doing classes in C++ and PHP where the only thing outside
methods and inside a class are class variable declarations.  Is this a
way to make variable declarations with a method?

This seems to be a very common construct in Ruby and I want to
understand what it is and how to use it correctly.  Thanks

Peer