John Carter wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Daniel Berger wrote:
>
> We had a bug in a system that did something like this so it failed
> literally 99 times out of a hundred.
>
> Since we had a fast retry we only noticed the bug when I went hunting
> another bug and went around inserting logging statements everywhere and
> found the retry / fail producing the massive stream of BLAH failed
> retrying messages.
>
> Fixed that bug and suddenly system a lot faster / more stable....
>
> Moral of the Story :
>
>   Unlogged / unreported retries mask bugs, always log / report number of
>   retries.

Yes, that is a potential issue.  It occurred to me that errors that
would normally be ignored could/should be emitted as warnings.  That
way, if there's an obvious problem with your code, you'll see it right
away, assuming you're running from the command line (or have some other
way of monitoring stderr).

Regards,

Dan