On 6/8/06, Francis Cianfrocca <garbagecat10 / gmail.com> wrote:
> The original post's title: "I love Ruby - But how bright is Ruby's future?"
> Also from the original post: "I love Ruby but I don't want to waist [sic] my
> time with a laguage [sic] that may not have a future." Fundamentally, this
> has nothing to do with how long it will take to sell Ruby to corporations.
>
> I tried to establish that widespread adoption by corporate IT shops (in the
> way that has been achieved by Java) would be a good way to ensure that Ruby
> has a bright future.

???

"Fundamentally, [the brightness of Ruby's future] has nothing do with
how long it will take to sell Ruby to corporations...widespread
adoption by corporate IT shops...would be a good way to ensure that
Ruby has a bright future."

???

????????????????????????????????

**jaw hanging open**

**totally not getting it**

> But the consensus of the thread (as I read it) is that
> widespread adoption by business is not material to Ruby's success, and is at
> least suspicious when considered as a goal for the Ruby community.

well, a lot of new people are coming to the Ruby community via Rails.
I can't speak for everybody but that's a big part of what brought me
here. and the thing is, if you look into the roots of Rails, the
company it came from, 37 Signals, they're very strident and hardcore
about the difference between corporations and business. in fact a lot
of the norms of corporate IT departments are viewed pretty scornfully
by those guys (e.g., "Meetings Are Toxic," "There's Nothing Functional
About A Functional Spec," Jason Fried's rants about the way things are
generally done in corporate IT departments).

I think there's definitely a difference between corporations and
business in general. I think widespread adoption by **corporations**
is viewed suspiciously. I could be wrong tho.

I think the general opinion might be that corporate IT departments are
bright for Ruby's future as a source of income but dark for its future
as a beautiful language. But that could be wrong. As I understand it
Ruby is pretty mainstream in Japan.

--
Giles Bowkett
http://www.gilesgoatboy.org