Matthew Smillie wrote:
> For big values of long - your guess is likely as good as mine, but I'd
> pick Lisp.  Four decades and still going strong.
Actually, Lispnik Paul Graham is "redesigning" Lisp to last 100 years
(from now). Do a search for "Paul Graham" and "ARC" to see what he's
proposing. It hasn't moved a lot recently; perhaps he's leaning towards
jumping on the Ruby bandwagon. :)

> And as a result, "business acceptance" in its traditional sense is
> becoming less relevant to language design because typical businesses
> are contributing less to language design; essentially nothing in
> direct terms, and even their marginal contribution of providing jobs
> to direct contributors (i.e. jobs not involving those contributions)
> is proportionally lower than it ever has been.
Hmmm ... well, maybe business didn't contribute much to the design of
*Ruby*, but C, C++, C#, Java, Visual Basic, APL and Fortran were
designed by businesses!

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

http://linuxcapacityplanning.com