On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Dave Baldwin wrote:

> If I have a quoted symbol, i.e. :'some symbol' then when I dump the YAML for
> it and then load the results I don't get back the symbol I put in, but get an
> extra set of escaped quotes.   The following irb session shows this:

i don't see the problem:

   harp:~ > ruby -r yaml -e' qs = YAML.load(YAML.dump(:"foo bar")); p qs; p qs.class; p VERSION '
   :"foo bar"
   Symbol
   "1.8.4"

you are just confusing yourself with irb/inspect

> irb(main):014:0> YAML.dump(:'some symbol')
> => "--- :\"some symbol\"\n"
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      this is the output of String.inspect - not the literal string

try

   harp:~ > irb -r yaml
   irb(main):001:0> dumped = YAML.dump(:'some symbol')
   => "--- :\"some symbol\"\n"
   irb(main):002:0> YAML.load dumped
   => :"some symbol"
   irb(main):003:0> YAML.load(dumped).class
   => Symbol

regards.

-a
--
suffering increases your inner strength.  also, the wishing for suffering
makes the suffering disappear.