On 7 Jun 2006, at 17:08, Nuralanur / aol.com wrote:

> I don't think this is specific of yaml - it's done to say that
> your  variable
> name is a String that contains a ' or a " at the beginning and
> end ,  so
> \"my_string\" or \'my_string\'
> are Strings with quotes in them and not the same
> as the Strings a="my_string" or a='my_string' .
>
> Best regards,
>
> Axel

Axel,

Thanks for replying, but I don't follow what you are saying here.  I
am using YAML to store objects in a database to later be retrieved
and this marshaling or serialisation  process must be bidirectional
so whatever goes in comes out *exactly* the same, i.e.

      some_object == YAML.load(YAML.dump(some_object)		# == is being
used to mean the same as

and this doesn't appear to be the case when some_object is a quoted
symbol :'some symbol'.  If I were only dealing with symbols I could
work around this, but the symbol is buried inside some object
hierarchies.  In this case I don't really care how YAML encodes the
objects as long as it can be treated as text.

Dave.