On Jun 7, 2006, at 9:51 AM, Asenchi wrote:
> On 6/7/06, Mat Schaffer <schapht / gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'd
>> >
>> > I too am unable to find any documentation or help for building wep
>> > apps
>> > (*outside* of rails). I am confused between mod_ruby, cgi, fcgi,
>> > ruby-web, ruby-fcgi etc. <b>Is there a simple tutorial?</b>
>> >
>> > I did get a simple cgi program to run off apache (unmodified), but
>> > when
>> > i added "require 'cgi' it threw a 500 internal error. I have
>> installed
>> > rails, but first wish to do some *non-db* stuff outside of it. Just
>> > apache or lighttpd.
>>
>> I've come up against the lack of tutorials for such a thing as well.
>> But recently I've made good progress getting mod_ruby and eRuby
>> working together to produce a lightweight web environment much like
>> PHP (where I came to Ruby from).   Althought I understand mod_ruby
>> has some speed issues.
>> However, get, post, and cookies are still a bit of a headache.  I'm
>> hoping to make some progress on that shortly.
>> -Mat
>
> I've used Rails so much, that now I just install Rails, and use it
> without a database.  I really like the whole environment and since I
> am used to it (testing, webrick while designing, etc.) it works really
> well.  Just a suggestion.  Good luck.

I've considered this option as well and I kinda like it.  My main
drive for creating a PHP-like Ruby web environment is evangelism, I
think.  Lowering the barrier to entry so that (so long as it's
installed on the server) all a user has to do to start coding is open
a .rhtml file.  That and possibly pairing it with a PHP->Ruby
translation package to get my old apps working in Ruby (albeit, ugly
Ruby).

Hopefully I'm not grossing out anyone too much here, but _I_ think
it's worthwhile.
-Mat