Francis Cianfrocca wrote:
> And to your point about programmers who deliver the goods: I've been
> privileged at several times to have some of those magical crazy people
> working for me who can deliver almost anything on almost any schedule.
> And
> although the sample set is small, those I have known all share this key
> characteristic: the programming language DOESN'T MATTER. An individual
> who
> really understands software development doesn't pick a programming
> language
> to concentrate on. He's productive in anything you tell him to use,
> and he
> doesn't particularly care either.
When I was one of those "magical crazy people", the choices were fewer.
And almost invariably the magical crazy people programmed in assembly
language whenever they could. Hardware was expensive, compilers sucked,
machines were slow and had limited memory.

Because of changing economics, programming language may not matter as
much as it used to, but I think today's magical crazy people probably,
if they had their druthers, would program in ... (pregnant pause) ... C.
At least the compilers don't suck any more. :)

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

http://linuxcapacityplanning.com