Not to be contrarian, but pickaxe page 180 says that ARGV[0] is not the
name of the program (unlike in C).  There's other stuff I don't get
about your snippet as well.
Why ["ruby" + ARGV]????  Seems like you're using + to add an array to a
string?  Can you explain it for us newbies?

Working from Pickaxe page 180 I would have come up with something like:
sleep 180                                      # obvious
pieces = [ruby, $0].concat(ARGV)  # $0 is program name
exec pieces.join(' ')                        # to string and execute it

BTW, many rubyist's would, I think, stick the .join(' ') on the end of
the array composition, like this:
exec [ruby, $0].concat(ARGV).join(' ')

Is there a move away from such Perlish pursuits, or are you still
considered a "Sheila" if you split things like this up into more easily
understandable pieces?

thanks,
jp