I think Ruby has an important message for the programmer:
  "You know what you want/need better than I do."

Personally, I'm not not sure that the 20.minutes.ago type of extension
is a judicious use of Ruby's power.  It is certainly very convenient
though, and so far I haven't seen it get in the way of anything.

We write programs, and the language helps us do that.  It shouldn't
get in our way.  Features like opening classes exist, in my mind,
because at times they are the best solution for a given problem.  It
is up to the programmer to use them wisely though.

I hate when languages put a condom on my code.

Pat