On 6/6/06, ReggW <me / yourhome.com> wrote:
> Austin Ziegler wrote:
> > On 6/5/06, ReggW <me / yourhome.com> wrote:
> >> Here is a list of Drivers that people *need* for Rails...
> >> http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/DatabaseDrivers
> >>
> >> Approx. 90% of these would go away if they implemented ODBC.
> >
> > Then someone should post a bounty for those drivers. In open source,
> > people implement what they need or what others are willing to pay them
> > for.
> >
> Just like most open-source zealots, when presented with the facts you
> change your story.

You *really* don't want to take that attitude with me. You don't know
me and you obviously don't know what contributions that I *have* made
in the past and will make again as soon as I find time. I'm not trying
to toot my own horn, but basically what I'm saying is that no one is
going to do your ODBC drivers for you unless there's something in it
for them.

I, for one, have no need for ODBC drivers for Rails.

Why? Because I don't use Rails. That's right. I don't use Rails.

So why would I *possibly* do anything to support the development of
ODBC drivers for Rails?

You, however, use Rails. You, however, seem to need ODBC drivers. So
... why aren't you developing them or making the effort to make sure
that they do get developed? Or is it just easier to whine that Rails
doesn't have ODBC drivers?

My story on this hasn't changed, Regg. If you look closely, you'll see
that I've always been pushing you toward getting someone to develop
the drivers for you. If you're not going to do it yourself, complain
to your database vendor that you need Rails support. If they don't
listen, find out whom else needs what you need and post a bounty to
get it done.

> That's ok, I still love the language, but hate the mentality of *some*
> of it's users/developers.

Try again. You're not talking to someone who has that mentality. I
would strongly suggest you google some of your correspondents -- not
just me -- before you start spouting off "open source zealot." I, for
one, am nothing of the sort. I'm just not your unpaid code monkey,
either.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com