Greetings,

I am new to ruby and I'm trying to figure out how to do the following:

I need to read keystrokes from the console or data from a serial port
without having to wait for a carriage return...

I have ordered an lcd display (the ones you can get from
linuxcentral.com...).  The model I ordered has a keypad interface on it.
This allows me to either write programs that get commands from a regular
keyboard, or through a keypad hooked up to the lcd display (which connects
to the computer through a serial port).

I've tried getc, read(1), and readchar, but they all require a carriage
return.

So, what's the best method for getting data from the keyboard or serial port
without having to wait for a carriage return?

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance you can provide...