I've been trying to pickup Ruby for a few months now. I've written a few
good programs that help me at work with SAN/Unix Administration. I've
also run into a few dificult(for me) programming problems. I like to
figure things out on my own so I never post questions in forums like
this, this probably contributes to my bad programming skill, but that's
besides the point.

I'm at a point where I'm asking myself if it is worth the trouble for me
to learn Ruby. How many people are really writting Ruby? Are there any
truly robust, good applications being written in Ruby? How well are Ruby
libraries being maintained? I know there is a lot of documentation for
Ruby but I find it hard to find very specific docs. Python seems to have
a whole lot more doc and many more books exist for Python. Does Python
have a greater following. I love Ruby but I don't want to waist my time
with a laguage that may not have a future.

I don't really care about learning 10 programming languages. My brain
wouldn't be able handle it. I want to learn 1 or two languages and learn
them well.  I know Pascal very well, I know Perl pretty well, now I
would like to get away from Perl and so I started out leaning Python. I
think Python is ugly and not very fun to write. I then jumped into
Ruby(a whole lot of fun!) but I don't get the warm and fussies about
Ruby's lasting power.