On 6/4/06, James Britt <james_b / neurogami.com> wrote:
> Alexandru Popescu wrote:
> > On 6/3/06, James Britt <james_b / neurogami.com> wrote:
> >
> >> It may be like music, where the more one knows and the more one has
> >> heard, the harder it is to get excited about new music (though when you
> >> do find something good, it can be *really* exciting).
> >>

> > Never heard or thought this way. It would mean that the top musicians
> > are really bored by the music they play in concerts. I guess that the
> > more you know the more you are able to identify wonderful spot and
> > enjoy them.
>
> Well, for myself, the music I like to listen to, and the music I like to
> write, and the music I like to play, are different sets with only
> partial overlap.
>
> For example, I like a lot of droning, repetitive, minimalist music, but
> hate playing it.  And I like playing, say, songs in the vein of the Sex
> Pistols, but have no interest in *writing* anything that sounds like that.
>
> In my code/music metaphor I was thinking more of what I find interesting
> to listen to; less and less makes a big impression on me (though this
> could just be a sign that I'm turning into my parents).
>
> I suspect that with various programming languages, as you internalize
> the idioms, you're less struck by how clever something is; you may
> think, "That's just how it's done."

So, what you are trying to say is that by the time you may become
blase. If so, than where is the passion? Has all burnt down? Going
back to code/music metaphor, this would translate that most of the
composers would just stop composing because they have enough. And I
really cannot agree with this.

> There's less novelty for you to misinterpret as mastery.

It looks like we are having a different perspective/interpretation of
mastery. And probably, we should agree to disagree. For me a
masterpiece will still be a masterpiece, whatever my understanding
level will be.

best regards,

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.

Probably, we have different perception/interpretation of 'mastery'.