On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 05:49:30 +0900, Logan Capaldo <logancapaldo / gmail.com> wrote:
> If YAML is meant to be used for serialization, then of course it must support
> cycles... but this makes me worry about all the projects that use YAML as a config file.

For most of the configuration files I've seen, I think it'd mostly only be an issue if you're doing blind recursive transformations of the tree (as in this case).

Otherwise, in most cases I've seen, there simply isn't any room for an arbitrarily deep set of nested hashes in the schema -- either you'd get an error from a hash being in an unexpected place, or that recursive subtree would simply get ignored.

You might have to think about these sorts of things on rare occasions, but it's not the end of the world.

-mental