On 5/31/06, Austin Ziegler <halostatue / gmail.com> wrote:

> When he tried to install 1.8.4, it *defaulted* to C:\ruby
> (which is the *real* bad behaviour; it should have defaulted to
> 1.8.4). Then he did an uninstall and it deleted everything -- without
> prompting -- in C:\ruby.

I think C:\ruby is a reasonable default installation location. Adding
the version just makes it longer and ugly, IMO. Anyhow as of the
latest installer code, a user cannot install into an existing
directory, and the uninstall let's them know the whole installation
directory will be deleted.

If they have problems after that, it is just user error.

As others have discussed, I think it is smart to develop code outside
of the Ruby installation directory, keep it maintained in SVN or CVS,
and then have a rake task or other script install it into the Ruby lib
directory.

Ryan