On 5/31/06, Mat Schaffer <schapht / gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 31, 2006, at 12:06 PM, Gregory Brown wrote:

> >> will be
> >>
> >> FWIW, I far prefer this proposal to the alternative of _not_ deleting
> >> the whole installation directory.
> >
> > I think that might get mucky, since the directory structure might
> > change from release to release and things like that.
> >
> > My employer always sticks ruby scripts I write for him in with the
> > ruby distribution.  This drives me bonkers, I have no idea why he does
> > this.
> >
> > Is this common practice on Windows?  I'd prefer to leave my code OUT
> > of places where it can get mixed in with an active distribution.  I
> > don't know, maybe it's just an
> > (only-uses-windows-when-absolutely-necessary) type coders point of
> > view, but sliding my scripts into C:\ruby seems to be begging for
> > problems.
>
> I think it comes from the fairly useless "home" directories on
> windows (and Mac OS actually).  You have My Documents (Documents on
> Mac), but almost every program tries to stick stuff in there it
> shouldn't.  So I find people try to avoid it cause they don't know
> what half of it is.

What is useless about ~ on OS X? You can stuff everything in there
just like any other *IX. And you get a nice shourtcut for ~ in the GUI
apps so there is no problem. And when you get hundreds of files in
there you can always find them as long as you got some idea what the
name was like :)

On Windows ~ is set to the profile directory which is not as nicely
accessible from the GUI. You can use desktop (or Documents) for
storing stuff. But admittedly Windows users are homeless :)

Thanks

Michal