On May 31, 2006, at 9:47 AM, Pistos Christou wrote:

> unknown wrote:
>> I'm working on a program that manipulates and stores a lot of data in
>> a database via ActiveRecord. I'm having a heck of a time trying to
>>
>> Anyone have experience with this type of work? Care to share any tips
>> on getting this to work?
>
> A bit away from your original topic (and perhaps this belongs on the
> Rails mailing list), but: I'd be interested to hear if you run into
> any
> problems using AR outside of Rails.  I have been writing an
> application
> (IRC game) which uses AR with PostgreSQL, and I have had uncountable
> problems due to the way AR connects to the database.  I am constantly
> hitting the maximum connection limit, and stray PostgreSQL child
> processes are always being left around.
>
> What DB are you using?

I'm using mysql 5.018 (latest AR, ruby 1.8.4 all on OSX 10.4.6) and
so far I haven't run into any problems like you describe. But since
you've mentioned them, I'll make sure my tests include detecting and
handling those types of AR exceptions.

BTW, using Ezra's sample code I've already gotten the fixtures
I've worked out all the kinks.

cr