On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 08:40:33PM +0900, Pe?a, Botp wrote:
> > Sample cross-referenced report generated by rcov:
> >     http://eigenclass.org/static/rcov-sample-report-crossref/
>
> uber cool.
> i think the only thing lacking is a web-based editor that hooks to rcov.
> Wherein you can click on any source, edit it, rerun rcov analysis again, all
> just using a browser..

Attractive at first sight, but on second thought I don't think anybody would
enjoy editing with a browser (unless running an embedded vim or browsing with
emacs) :-)  I'll think about integration with the user's editor of choice.

> > This release is the first to include RubyGems packages: both a binary one
> > for Win32 and a platform-independent one for all those with a compiler,
> > (or a lot of patience, if willing to run rcov in pure-Ruby mode), so
> >   gem install rcov
> > should work.
>
> tested and runs great in windows and linux.
> but i would still love to see a pure ruby rcov (even if it may be slow).

Actually, rcov *will* run in pure-Ruby mode if it cannot load rcovrt.
If you install it from the tarball with
  ruby setup.rb --without-ext
or using RubyGems and the compilation fails, it'll fall back to pure-Ruby and
give you a warning:

batsman@tux-chan:~/src/rcov/examples$ rcov --version
bash: rcov: command not found
batsman@tux-chan:~/src/rcov/examples$ make=bogus-command-foo gem install rcov
Attempting local installation of 'rcov'
Local gem file not found: rcov*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rcov'
Select which gem to install for your platform (i686-linux)
 1. rcov 0.5.0.1 (ruby)
 2. rcov 0.5.0.1 (mswin32)
 3. Cancel installation
> 1
/home/batsman/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:243: command not found: bogus-command-foo
/home/batsman/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:243: command not found: bogus-command-foo install
ruby extconf.rb install rcov
creating Makefile

bogus-command-foo

bogus-command-foo install
Successfully installed rcov-0.5.0.1
Installing RDoc documentation for rcov-0.5.0.1...
batsman@tux-chan:~/src/rcov/examples$ rcov --version
rcov 0.5.0 2006-05-30
batsman@tux-chan:~/src/rcov/examples$ rcov --text-coverage --no-html --no-color a.rb

Since the rcovrt extension couldn't be loaded, rcov will run in pure-Ruby
mode, which is about two orders of magnitude slower.

If you're on win32, you can find a pre-built extension (usable with recent
One Click Installer and mswin32 builds) at http://eigenclass.org/hiki.rb?rcov .

blergh
yep
Done: 56