> I was URL'd to this place after asking a XML question.
> Is this the right place for New to Ruby  ?
> What does a basic Ruby Application look like ?
>
> The only hands on expirience with making a GUI was a trial phase with
> REALbasic  to get a grip on what programming is all about. They sent me here.

I'm afraid that if you're new to programming, there isn't really any
place where you can ask "how do I write an application?" and expect an
answer.

A number of good resources exist for learning Ruby. Premier among them
is the book "Programming Ruby", and older edition of which is
available online under a free license here:
http://www.rubycentral.com/book/

The `home` of Ruby's documentation lives at: http://www.ruby-doc.org/
which is a great place to start as well. There's also "Why's
(Poignant) Guide to Ruby" http://poignantguide.net/ruby/ if you're
not into the typical programming texts...

> I need to have a Application that obtains data from a XML web page and
> log that data to a txt log file everytime the web page auto updates
> itself.

I'm not sure why you need a GUI application for that. Ruby provides
standard libs for everything you need to handle the described task,
the standard lib is documented at ruby-doc.org.

I'm afraid you'll have to ask more specific questions to get better answers.

Hope this helps get you started,
   -Tim