Hi

It seems as if subclasses just extend their parentclasses, but are no
classes themselves. So class variables get overridden by the last
assignment. This is counterintuitive.
David Black's example shows this, and also creates a problem to be
solved, because it has semantic logic:
(generalizations)
A car is a vehicle with 4 tires.
A Bike is a vehikle with 2 tires.
How to implement these circumstances nicely in Ruby, when all subclasses
share class variables with their parents, and override them
'arbitrarily'? Using def initialize? I'm sure a nice solution is
possible, but the behaviour David Black describes is still disturbing.

Tobi

--
Tobias Reif
http://www.pinkjuice.com/myDigitalProfile.xhtml