On May 27, 2006, at 8:25 PM, NAKAMURA, Hiroshi wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Long time no post.
>
> James Edward Gray II wrote:
>>> I agree.  I don't want to have two independent CSV readers in the
>>> distribution.  It's OK that compatible mode is slow, or gives
>>> obsoletion warning.
>>
>> Alright, let me take another crack at the compatibility mode then.  I
>> can probably speed in up since I know it's about to gain importance.
>
> Please do not waste your time any more. (sorry for writing this.  I
> know
> you are taking much time to support users for using CSV in Ruby).
>  Cracks are from difference of our CSV standpoints so it must not be
> 100% compatible.

Do we have different standpoints?  I hope not too different.  We're
just using different parsing techniques, right?

Other than to_csv() and parse_csv(), are there things you don't like
about FasterCSV?  I'm open to suggestions.

> Just replace csv.rb with faster_csv.rb.

I just don't want to break a lot of software.  :(

> As a bundled library (in my opiniion):
>
>   One thing I don't like faster_csv.rb is String#parse_csv and
>   Array#to_csv.  Please do not bring pollution to standard classes.
>
>   Kernel.CSV should be discussed well before introducing it.  Needed?
>   (We already have Kernel.URI though...)

Maybe I'm alone in this thinking, but I'm not bothered by conversion
methods like this.  It's also fairly common (to_set(), to_yaml(), etc.).

James Edward Gray II