On May 27, 2006, at 11:20 AM, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: FasterCSV RCR?"
>     on Sat, 27 May 2006 14:31:50 +0900, Hal Fulton
> <hal9000 / hypermetrics.com> writes:
>
> |I'd suggest changing the name to CSV. And possibly defaulting to
> |compat-mode or perhaps issuing a warning if it's detected that
> |the user is trying to use the Old Library.
>
> I agree.  I don't want to have two independent CSV readers in the
> distribution.  It's OK that compatible mode is slow, or gives
> obsoletion warning.

Alright, let me take another crack at the compatibility mode then.  I
can probably speed in up since I know it's about to gain importance.

> But we have to discuss about when it should
> happen - during 1.8.x or for 1.9.

I trust your judgement on what is best.

I guess I should warn you that the compatibility mode is not a 100%
CSV replacement.  It works for the majority of applications using
just the CSV.* methods, but I don't even try to support all the
reader and writer object.  I've never seen code that uses those, but
it could exist.

James Edward Gray II