On 5/26/06, Mat Schaffer <schapht / gmail.com> wrote:>> On May 26, 2006, at 10:37 AM, Michal Suchanek wrote:>> > On 5/24/06, James Edward Gray II <james / grayproductions.net> wrote:> >> On May 23, 2006, at 4:46 PM, Douglas Livingstone wrote:> >>> >> http://new.ruby-lang.org/> ...> > Not that pixels are the root of all evil in web design, just almost> > all. Such web is not scalable, it is the same size (in pixels)> > irregardless of the user's screen (window) size and dpi.> >> > This is the standard these days, many web sites do it. And some do> > not. The fact that many did the same error is not an excuse for doing> > it again.>> In my recent dealings with visual design people, I understand the> problem with scalable sites is that you don't know what you're line> length is going to be anymore.  Which makes visual paragraph flow> hard to dictate.  Hence the fixed widths.   If that offers any> consolation.
That is a mistake of the visual design people. You do not know theline length anyway.First, you do not hand-adjust the paragraph layout for every piece ofcontent on the site.Second, even if you do, the person who displays the site may get adifferent font with different width, or render the site with adifferent sized font so that it is easily readable. If you disallowfont scaling (specify the font sizes in pixels) you should getgenerally similar layout unless the used font happens to have verydifferent relative width. Even then most browsers would allow changingthe font size anyway. If they do not (like IE) the site eitherdisplays in huge letters on low-dpi screens or is unreadable onhigh-dpi screens.
Just a while ago we bought new displays for a few people here. Theyhappened to be high-dpi, and our web site was unreadable on them. Andour visual experts said it is not their priority. That much for visualexperts :)>> But the new site looks very nice, I think.  Fixed width is a> necessary evil until something better than HTML/CSS2 comes along.
Yes, it looks very nice. And if you know nothing about web design andhappen to have a "normal" screen you would not suspect a thing.
Thanks
Michal