Ryan Leavengood wrote:

> To allow for in-place upgrades we would have to find every
> incompatibility caused by libraries which have moved or changed in
> some way (like openssl) and explicitly add support to the installer to
> delete the old versions first. Though there might be some more general
> way to do it. It would still involve selective deleting which is error
> prone and could result in more problems and big reports.
>
> Considering you don't have to upgrade very often, I don't think it is
> that hard to refresh your gems and other libraries after a new clean
> install.

Interesting.  I had thought there were well-defined locations for
different types of libraries (core, stdlib, and everything else),  so
that replacing old with new would be predictable (e.g., an upgrade could
just nuke any old core + stdlib stuff and drop in new ones, leaving any
custom stuff alone).

Oh well.

A job for Rake or Reap or Rant ...

--
James Britt

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly
  universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by
  uncertainty cannot be the truth."
  - R. Feynman