On 5/26/06, James Britt <james_b / neurogami.com> wrote:

> Wow.    Painful.
>
> :(
>
> This used to not be a problem; what changed, and what would be needed to
> allow for in-place upgrades?

The directory layout changed quite a bit in the latest installer.

An example of something that changed which caused a problem was
openssl moved from lib/ruby/site_ruby into lib/ruby/1.8. Leaving the
old version in site_ruby would break any use of SSL.

To allow for in-place upgrades we would have to find every
incompatibility caused by libraries which have moved or changed in
some way (like openssl) and explicitly add support to the installer to
delete the old versions first. Though there might be some more general
way to do it. It would still involve selective deleting which is error
prone and could result in more problems and big reports.

Considering you don't have to upgrade very often, I don't think it is
that hard to refresh your gems and other libraries after a new clean
install.

Ryan