On May 26, 2006, at 10:37 AM, Michal Suchanek wrote:

> On 5/24/06, James Edward Gray II <james / grayproductions.net> wrote:
>> On May 23, 2006, at 4:46 PM, Douglas Livingstone wrote:
>>
>> http://new.ruby-lang.org/
> Not that pixels are the root of all evil in web design, just almost
> all. Such web is not scalable, it is the same size (in pixels)
> irregardless of the user's screen (window) size and dpi.
>
> This is the standard these days, many web sites do it. And some do
> not. The fact that many did the same error is not an excuse for doing
> it again.

In my recent dealings with visual design people, I understand the
problem with scalable sites is that you don't know what you're line
length is going to be anymore.  Which makes visual paragraph flow
hard to dictate.  Hence the fixed widths.   If that offers any
consolation.

But the new site looks very nice, I think.  Fixed width is a
necessary evil until something better than HTML/CSS2 comes along.