On 5/24/06, James Edward Gray II <james / grayproductions.net> wrote:> On May 23, 2006, at 4:46 PM, Douglas Livingstone wrote:>> > There was a nice redesign with some momenutum about it a while back,> > but it seems to have gotten lost somewhere :-(>> Not at all.  We've made tons of progress on it just recently.  Behold:>> http://new.ruby-lang.org/
Yes, it looks very "professional". But the blue stripes on each sideof the page take way too much space. Perhaps my browser window islarger than that of the person who designed the web?
I say "professional" because it is that sort of good looking slickdesign that uses pixel alignement. It is probably the type of designthat appeals to managers and computer illiterate people. If it happensthat they can see it on their screens because they got a "normal"screen.Not that pixels are the root of all evil in web design, just almostall. Such web is not scalable, it is the same size (in pixels)irregardless of the user's screen (window) size and dpi.
This is the standard these days, many web sites do it. And some donot. The fact that many did the same error is not an excuse for doingit again.
I appreciate the work you put into the new design. But it looks like Iwill not be the one who appreciates the results of the work. I wasafraid the new design will be like this, and so it is.
Thanks
Michal