On Thu, 25 May 2006, Joel VanderWerf wrote:

> ara.t.howard / noaa.gov wrote:
>> i've never understood why one would use the mingw?  my biggest issue with
>> windows ruby is that i can't do this
>>
>>   ruby extconf.rb && make && make install
>>
>> which renders ruby useless for my purposes - doing just about any
>> science will
>> require one to compile ruby extensions and third-party libs...
>>
>> so, when i compiled the gsl for win i had to do this
>>
>>   - install msys
>>   - compile a ruby using msys
>>   - compile gsl
>>   - compile ruby-gsl using msys-ruby
>>   - manually copy *.so, *rb, etc into c:\ruby\lib\...
>
> What goes wrong with gsl when you use ruby-mswin32 and nmake/vc6?
>
> ruby extconf.rb
> nmake
> nmake install
>
> This has worked for some extensions, but maybe gsl is peculiar about
> being compiled with gcc?

yup, you never would even make it this far.  you need to do this first

   cd gsl-1.8/

   ./configure --prefix=/usr/local && make && make install

and for that you need msys.  same goes for sqlite, etc, etc.  people have
compiled gsl using vc6 but they charge 400 bucks for it... that must mean
something.

regards.

-a
- h.h. the 14th dali lama