On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 11:31:11PM +0900, Ryan Leavengood wrote:
> On 5/24/06, ara.t.howard / noaa.gov <ara.t.howard / noaa.gov> wrote:
> >
> >why not compile ruby with msys so that windows users can install extensions
> >like the rest of the ruby world?  it always seems strange to me that ruby's
> >built-in extension creation does not work on windows...
> >
> >anyhow, not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth, but why not msys?
>
> We do not compile Ruby ourselves, but use the compiled version provided
> here:
>
> http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/download/release.html

But would it be more difficult to use
http://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/binaries/mingw/1.8/  instead?

Quoting from that page

mswin32
 Compiled by Microsoft Visual C++. This is the most 'standard' binary from the
 common point-of-view in the Windows world. But we cannot use some parts of
 characteristic functions which ruby on UNIX has. After 1.7.3, mswin32 has
 binary level compatibility of extension libraries with mingw32. RUBY_PLATFORM
 is *-mswin32.
[...]
mingw32
 Compiled by gcc. Since most of the source code of ruby-mingw32 is the same as
 ruby-mswin32, the behaviors of it are almost the same as that of ruby-mswin32
 (probably). After 1.7.3, mingw32 has binary level compatibility of extension
 libraries with mswin32. RUBY_PLATFORM is *-mingw32.