On 5/23/06, Enterprise Astronaut <enterpriseastro / enterprise.ch> wrote:
> Well, maybe this is the real problem with the Ruby community then?

What, that we're overworked and haven't yet gotten someone to bankroll
our efforts?

> The point of my post was to eliminate the manual work that has to go
> into a Ruby installer.  Make it a lot more automated, flick a switch
> and walk away.  Even under ideal situations the Ruby Windows Installer
> is at least a few days/weeks turn around time.  Right now the 1.84
> release is going on 6 months.  This is the reality right now.  The
> release of a Ruby installer should not be based on someone's agenda,
> it should be an automated process.  I appreciate what the team does
> and the endless work they put into it but at some point the Ruby
> community will need to mature in this regard.

So? It's shifting the installer base. That doesn't happen overnight,
especially when *both* people on the team are overworked. I've also been
exploring an alternative that will make it much easier to build from
scratch and automate *everything* about the installer.

I've had exactly zero hours to work on it since January, because of my
day job.

That's why I'm saying "DO SOMETHING" instead of proposing something that
is probably not going to help at all.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com