Curt Hibbs wrote:
> installer team. I have been asking for help repeatedly over the years
> without much response. So far, only Ryan Leavengood and Shashank Date
> have
> helped.

Well, maybe this is the real problem with the Ruby community then?
Asking for assistance over a number of years to get help on an installer
package that I'm sure thousands of people, companies, etc. use daily and
coming back with mostly deaf echos is not ideal.  This installer is a
fundamental piece of Ruby being accepted by a larger audience (sorry but
Windows is still the dominant platform out there).  I know a lot of
developers/companies that unless they get a timely pretty installer
package they won't bother using it or allow it on a server.  (I hear the
argument already "well we don't want those types of developers
anyway"... Don't we?  Do we want critical mass or be a niche language?)

The point of my post was to eliminate the manual work that has to go
into a Ruby installer.  Make it a lot more automated, flick a switch and
walk away.  Even under ideal situations the Ruby Windows Installer is at
least a few days/weeks turn around time.  Right now the 1.84 release is
going on 6 months.  This is the reality right now.  The release of a
Ruby installer should not be based on someone's agenda, it should be an
automated process.  I appreciate what the team does and the endless work
they put into it but at some point the Ruby community will need to
mature in this regard.

From a company's perspective I have a lot better chance of having this
installed on a server based simply off of the organized, tidy webpage:
http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.4.3/
All the releases synced up, all the builds ready for download from one
location.  Nice and easy.  When I look at the Ruby download site I see a
mis-mash of info and links leading off to other sites- it looks
unprofessional at best.  Again, I'm looking at this from a company's
eyes.  First impressions mean a lot.

-The Enterprise Astronaut