------art_25864_1870153.1148417953359

On 5/23/06, Enterprise Astronaut <enterpriseastro / enterprise.ch> wrote:

> I understand projects like the Ruby Installer for Windows exists, but
> what I'm wondering is:
>
> Why not have AllInOneRuby with gems embedded into it call a gem that has
> the Ruby bits and a local copy of Ruby and then follow up with Gems.
> From there your home free, correct?  You could even just to get going
> have the AllInOneRuby installer simply do a wget and pull down the Ruby
> bits and put them into a folder and set the path.  Eventually it would
> seem though pulling down the actual Ruby bits in a gem is the "Ruby" way
> to do this.
>
> The Ruby Windows Installer seems to lag behind the general releases.  It
> would seem the senario I just described would be more up to date.  The
> Python guys have their installers down to s science now, it seems like
> Ruby is lagging a bit here (the Windows side of it anyway).

Ryan Leavengood already beat me to answering this, but I thought I couldn't
hurt to repeat it.

The lag this time around is an anomaly. The 1.8.2 release of the one-click
installer, for example, was out within a week of the ruby release. But there
were a number of problems with the way it was built that was making it
harder to be timely.

So, as Ryan pointed out, I completely rewrote the build system with the goal
of reducing the turnaround time. Withe the new build system it should be
possible to reduce that lag time to a few days.

Also as Austin pointed out, it would be much better to join the one-click
installer team. I have been asking for help repeatedly over the years
without much response. So far, only Ryan Leavengood and Shashank Date have
helped. There's a lot that could be done, but without more help, the I have
to keep the scope limited.

I like the idea of providing the one-click Ruby distro as a zip file (in
addition to a traditional installer). In fact, this is the way that Instant
Rails uses the one-click ruby installer.

Curt

PS
   Pulling down Ruby in a gem would be a problem -- a chicken and egg
problem -- as RubyGems needs Ruby to execute, and needs an existing Ruby
installation in which to place the gems that it installs.

------art_25864_1870153.1148417953359--