On 5/23/06, Enterprise Astronaut <enterpriseastro / enterprise.ch> wrote:

> Why would it be a waste?  A lot of time seems to be spent getting
> FreeRide, SciTe, etc. all bundled up.  That would be gone.  I'm talking
> about just putting Ruby on a Win32 box quick and easily via gems.  No
> need for an installer at all.  Run the EXE and it always grabs the
> latest gem.  Seems like a lot less maintenance and heartache than the
> way its being done currently.

I'm telling you from personal experience that it isn't all that hard
to bundle this stuff up, now that Curt has put the work into it that
he has. I came from knowing nothing about the installer (besides
having installed it myself) to be fixing bugs on it within a day. Of
course I have more experience with installers and Ruby than other
people, but I still think any competent developer could get up to
speed pretty quick.

But as James says, the best way to show us what you are talking about
is to put your money where your mouth is and implement it. Everything
you need for it is available online.

Ryan