Le 23 mai 06, 08:36, Paul D. Kraus a ˝─rit :

I would add http://www.rubyforge.net

> Exactly what I was looking for thanks. Any good newbie faq's? Not
> really on
> the programming side of things but more on the supplemental tools such
> as
> the one you just gave me or good places to find online docs.
>
> Oh and the biggest one... What the heck is GEM.

Ruby package management. Many libraries/program are distributed with
gem. Look for RubyGems on rubyforge.

> Why do scripts have both require and import statements?

'require' loads a file in your interpreter. 'import', don't know what
that is. Are you talking about 'include'?

You may want to look at www.ruby-doc.org. In particular the Pickaxe
("Programming Ruby") and the standard library documentation. And if it
was installed properly on your system, 'ri' is very handy:

[gus@hibernatus ~]$ ri require
--------------------------------------------------------- Kernel#require
      require(string)    => true or false
      Ruby tries to load the library named _string_, returning +true+ if
      successful. If the filename does not resolve to an absolute path,
      it will be searched for in the directories listed in +$:+. If the
      file has the extension ``.rb'', it is loaded as a source file; if
      the extension is ``.so'', ``.o'', or ``.dll'', or whatever the
      default shared library extension is on the current platform, Ruby
      loads the shared library as a Ruby extension. Otherwise, Ruby tries
      adding ``.rb'', ``.so'', and so on to the name. The name of the
      loaded feature is added to the array in +$"+. A feature will not be
      loaded if it's name already appears in +$"+. However, the file name
      is not converted to an absolute path, so that ``+require
      'a';require './a'+'' will load +a.rb+ twice.

         require "my-library.rb"
         require "db-driver"

'fxri' on rubyforge is good also.

HTH,