> This thread is *specifically* about getting more computational
> performance for Ruby. Let's not throw it off track by reiterating all
> the *other* reasons the language is "good enough" for us.

How much more? Ruby will never be as fast as hand written assembly
code, well written C, etc. The problem with the performance debate is
premature optimization. When things are too slow, optimize the 5% of
your code that is too slow (after careful profiling to locate that 5%)
-- if necessary as a C extension.

I am all for a fast Ruby, YARV will likely deliver when it is ready.
Even with YARV and a some future JIT compiler, there will be times
when your application is too slow and will require optimization.
Making Ruby faster is not going to help in many cases, you still need
to profile and optimize.

Can Ruby's performance be increased? Yes, but the only "elephant" in
the room is the astral projection of Sir Charles Antony Richard Hoare
muttering that the root of all evil is premature optimization...

pth