viswesh, how about something like this? i'm a bit of a ruby newbie
myself, so the syntax here is probably terrible. the general idea may
fit what you're looking for? it'll extend to whichever cases you
require easily

Chris

def respond(input)
	var cases = [
		[["good", "wonderful", "ok", "fantastic"],
		 "Good old buddy"],
		[["bad", "so-so"],
		 "That's rough"]
	];