Hello everyone,

I'm releasing the latest version of my R<->Ruby code called RSRuby.
Writing it has scratched an itch that I've had for a while, and
although it's still a while away from being feature complete or bug
free, I probably won't be able to spend too much more time on it. So
if anyone else wants to take the code and add it to their project
then they're very welcome. It's basically a port of the RSPerl module
(or part of it anyway), hence the RSRuby name. I've only tested it
with R though, so I have no idea whether it runs with S. I've tested
it on Linux (Ubuntu) and OS X, but I have no idea whether it's
possible to get it running under Windows (I sort of doubt it!).
Please be aware that the installation procedure requires you to
install the Ruby code AND some R code separately. The README file
should hopefully explain it. Without the R code installed RSRuby
won't load.

You can download the tar.gz here:

http://web.kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~alexg/files/rsruby.0.1.tar.gz

And some (very basic) docs can be found here:

http://web.kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~alexg/rsruby/

It's been a good exercise for me in learning the Ruby C API (which I
can confirm is a lot nicer than Perl's!), so if anyone finds it
useful/interesting then that's a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Sample code:

require 'RSRuby/rsruby'

r = RSRuby.new
normal_data = r.rnorm(100)
r.plot({:x => normal_data, :xlab => 'Test'})
sleep(2)

Dr Alex Gutteridge
Post-Doctoral Researcher

Bioinformatics Center