Dave Burt wrote:
> James Britt wrote:
>
>>So asks Dr. Scripto at Microsoft TechNet
>>

>>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/funzone/puzzle/default.mspx
>>

>>At the very bottom, they say, "Or ? and it pains us to say this ? could
>>this be our fault? What?s wrong with this script?"
>>
>>Well, it's obvious: the script is not written in Ruby.
>>
>>Maybe they need a few decent Ruby solutions.
>

> It's a good question.
I'm not sure about that.  Unless I'm very much mistaken, the problem
with the script is that Windows has a nasty reaction to being asked the
free space available on a CD drive when there's no CD in it.  Blech.  It
makes the drive 'partially available' - some things work, others don't.
  If I'm right about that, then what's needed is a way to find out which
drives *can* respond before asking them to do so.

On unices, I think this does the trick:

   $ df -h `mount | grep '^/dev' | cut -f 3 -d ' '`

Works on Linux and OS X, certainly - I don't have any other BSDs to check.

--
Alex