Giles Bowkett wrote:
> What's a good reason to use send() instead of a dot to send a message?
>
> Is it for situations where you know you're going to want to send an
> object a message, but you don't know what that message is until
> runtime?

I think send is one of the key features of Ruby. It is a core underneath
mechanism. It is widely used.
For example, I think it is used in implementation of DRb. Whenever a DRb
server gets a call from a client, it gets the method name and other
things,so it send message to the server object.
IMHO, anywhere you want a level of indirection of function call, you may
consider using send.