Giles Bowkett wrote:
> What's a good reason to use send() instead of a dot to send a message?
>
> Is it for situations where you know you're going to want to send an
> object a message, but you don't know what that message is until
> runtime?

Yes, this is a good example. Since Ruby has no real concept of "compile
time", we can refer to it as "coding time". So:

obj.do_stuff(args)

Is only possible when you know at "coding time" that 'do_stuff' is the
method you want to call on obj. If you don't know it, and it will become
known only during "run time", you can do:

obj.send(method_name, args)

Where 'method_name' stores the name of the method