On 5/18/06, Daniel Schierbeck <daniel.schierbeck / gmail.com> wrote:
> dblack / wobblini.net wrote:
> > I'm not sure I get that distinction -- I mean, I understand that you
> > do it that way, but I'm not sure there's any generally closer
> > association between do/end and rescuing than there is between {} and
> > rescuing.  Also, they're sometimes used in the *same* places, but by
> > different people :-)
> Maybe it's time we make that distinction. From a syntactical point of
> view, they're very different -- only the keyword/end syntax really
> allows for such things as if/elsif/else/end and rescue clauses, unless
> you want to add this to Ruby:

Blocks are blocks. Stylistically, some people prefer braces, some
people prefer do/end. There are people who will do everything they can
to make sure that they always use the same style. There are people who
use {} for blocks that return a value (and the exception handler is
*very* important there) and do/end for those that don't. There are
people who use {} for one-liners and do/end for multi-liners.

The curly syntax is *not* just a shorthand. It has a different binding.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com
               * Alternate: austin / halostatue.ca