On 5/18/06, Daniel Schierbeck <daniel.schierbeck / gmail.com> wrote:
> Austin Ziegler wrote:
> > The main reason that Matz has opposed it before is:
> >
> >  foo {
> >    bar
> >  rescue
> >    baz
> >  }
> >
> > It does look odd, but I think people will just get used to it.
>
> I think it looks too odd. The do/end and the curly bracket syntaxes are
> used in different places -- if I needed error handling, I would never
> use the curly brackets anyway. I see the problem, though; I just don't
> think it's big enough to block the implementation of this.

No, they're not used in different places, not really.

I know some people use {} for one-liners and do/end for
multiple-liners, but sometimes it is important to use one over the
other because of the binding precedence.

  foo bar {} # the block binds with bar
  foo bar do end # the block binds with foo

If you're going to have it for do/end, you need it for {}, too.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com
               * Alternate: austin / halostatue.ca