Folks, I have a real opportunity to make a
difference here. But I need some help, and
the lack of documentation on this subject
is a major hindrance.

To do an install, I have to do a build (unlike
my PC). For that, I need a bit more assistance.

Dan Berger was very helpful when he laid out
this process:

 >> make distclean
 >> ./configure --prefix=/wherever/you/want
 >> make
 >> make install

That's a good process that will probably work
decently. But then Ara Howard added this cryptic
note:

 > don't forget to do both of these before compiling
 >
 >  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/wherever/you/want/lib
 >  LD_RUN_PATH=/wherever/you/want/lib   # most important!
 >
 > if you do this all the stuff you compile it will
 > inter-operate nicely--e.g. ruby extensions--and other
 > users will be able to use it without having their
 > LD_LIBRARY_PATH set. They'll only require PATH.

I sure this makes sense, but I'm missing the mental
model--the picture of what's happening--that would
explain /why/ it makes sense. These variables aren't
mentioned in the Makefile, so they must be important
to gcc. But why, if I'm /creating/ the lib as part
of the process??

Finally, it looks as though install-all is what I want,
because install looks seems to a documentn-free install.
I'm not conversant enough with the Ruby build to be
sure I'm reading the Makefile right, but what I see is
this:

 > install: install-nodoc $(RDOCTARGET)
 > install-all: install-nodoc install-doc

Where RDOCTARGET is defined as nil, by default.

If it's supposed to be specified, it's not mentioned in
the Makefile. So I'm guessing that the target I really
want is install-all. But I'd like to confirm that.

So the process that /looks/ right to me, at the moment,
is:

    make distclean
    setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /wherever/you/want/lib
    setenv LD_RUN_PATH /wherever/you/want/lib
    ./configure --prefix=/wherever/you/want
    make
    make install-all

I'll try it, but I feel like a blind man groping in
the dark. I was hoping for confirmation and/or a bit
more enlightenment before going forward...