On 5/18/06, DEBAUN, STEVE [AG-Contractor/2400] <steve.debaun / seminis.com> wrote:
> To everyone else:
> I'll distract him, while y'all get a rope.

hehe. I recently noticed that C# still has a goto, although it seems
that you can't have a label right at the end of a function since the
label must precede an actual statement. I found it to be useful in a
case where I was deep in nested loops, searching for a string and had
just found it, so I needed to jump out. It seemed so much clearer and
simpler to use the goto rather than have

if (... & flag_variable)

in every loop condition., even though I had to put silly nop
statements at the end of the functions.

In Ruby I sometimes do similar things with Exceptions, since an
Exception a rather glorified goto-with-parameters.

I think the great fear of having spaghetti code resulted in a bit of
an over-reaction:  the universal condemnation of goto. Goto is still
sometimes simple and useful.