unknown wrote:

>> jon
>
> then something is fishy.  the error you showed is caused by
>
>    RUBYOPT='-rubygems'
>
> what does this say
>
>    harp:~ > ruby -r yaml -e'  y ENV[% RUBYOPT ]  '
>
> ??
>
> -a

Ok, good news.  After I unistalled the windows ruby, I didn't re-start
my computer.  Usually when things aren't working that should, I have to
restart the computer.  Things appear to be working now:

ruby myfile.rb ... works
ruby setup.rb ... for gems, works

I haven't yet tried gnuplot which got me started on this in the first
place.  I'll let you know how that goes in a few hours (I have to work
now).  Again, thanks for all the help.

jon