In order to resolve namespace conflicts, I need to take ownership of two
Rubygems.

This mean that I would like to take these gems, and put them in local,
self-managed folders so that I can control their namespaces.

I am able to successfully require these modules, however, I can't get
the "require_gem" call to work.

Should I be able to pass any arbitrary path that is not in my load path
to a gem to require_gem and expect it to work?

Example:

require_gem "${RAILS_ROOT}/app/modules/whatever.rb"

Does require_gem only look on the load path?  Would I need to add
${RAILS_ROOT}/app/modules to my Ruby load path?

Thanks,
Wes