Axel,

> Just save it in the directory you're in. That could be something like
> > /home/jon .

Thats what I was doing, so far so good.

>> Now, your second question:
> Here, you are trying to require rubygems in myfile.rb to load some gem
> file

myfile.rb consists of:

puts "Hello world"

thats it.  No require statements.  But I tried to install rubygems.  I
downloaded the tar.gz file.  Unpacked it and put the folder in
/lib/ruby.  Then:

$cd /lib/ruby/rubygems-0.8.11
$ruby setup.rb
ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (Load Error)

Then I try:

$export GEM_HOME=/home/mygemrepository ... ok, no error returned
$ruby setup.rb config --prefix=/home/jon
ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (Load Error)

I can't seem to run any ruby file.

$ruby -v ... works
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-cygwin]

So I remembered that I still had the windows one-click version of ruby
installed and thought that that might cause some trouble, so I
uninstalled it.  Nothing chnaged.  Could it be a problem with an
environment variable?  I'm not sure what I would need to set if it was.

Jon