> Actually, they're both theft and they both unlawfully deprive the author
> and publisher of their rightful income from the sale. In a theft from a
> bookstore, though, there's an additional aggrieved party. (Your
> characterisation of the difference between the possible judgements is
> incorrect. I deplore the DMCA and am quite thankful that I don't live in
> a country that has such insane copyright laws.)

They are not both theft - both actions deprive the author and publisher
of funds, but they are not both theft as legally defined.  Until the
definition of theft is changed, copying software/data is copyright
infringement.  I think both are bad, but we should use the correct terms
so that people don't get confused.

> It's *easier* to steal from the author in one case rather than the
> other, but it still deprives the author of income to which they are
> entitled.

Agreed it's easier to *copy* a pdf

>> I live in the developing world, and the fact is that there are no
>> bookstores that carry Prag Prog titles here - they simply cost too
>> much for the bookstores to carry. [...]
>

> Has anyone mentioned this to the PragProg? Every impression that I've
> ever gotten of Dave and Andy is that they would care about this, and I
> think that their authors would feel the same. Why don't you suggest it
> to them as a possible approach for the developing world?

One of the reasons for my reply was that I know that Dave Thomas hangs
around here from time to time and this email in context would make a
stronger argument than a direct unsolicited email to them.  I'd be happy
to ask in the bookstores here about how they get the cheaper books from
AW etc.  Interestingly, all university text books are actually
photocopies - again as there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that the
student would be able to afford them - the government or a government
agency (not exactly sure) simply photocopies them in bulk and the stores
sell them for ~$2 (I recall some textbooks being ~50GBP when I was
studying, so this is a great deal for the students).  Other books are
published locally (which again helps to reduce the price).

Kev